Home

Cooking Vegan

tags: |

Help! My wife wants me to cook for an important business client and his wife. They are super nice but they are vegan. I am at a loss at what to cook. Vegan means that I can’t use any animal products and that wipes out much of my arsenal of favorite recipes. Any suggestions for a tasty menu?

Re: Cooking Vegan

That’s a tough one. A couple of suggestions. Try and find another vegan and get some inspiration from them. I know that sounds lame, but I imagine vegans have a good repertory of recipes for parties they would be happy to share (and, hopefully, with everyone at GreatGrub too). In the absence of this, try French Lentil Soup with Sausage, obviously replacing the sausage with something acceptable (like a vegan sausage!). Also hummus as a starter or maybe guacamole.

What you really need is a recipe for a good nut roast. If anyone knows one, click here and submit one to the site, please!

Maybe start with parsnip soup, replacing butter with margarine and chicken stock with vegetable. Followed by vegetable strudel with a side salad with a spiced cider dressing.

These were great suggestions. Had we not overdosed on the wonderful French Lentil Soup with Sausage over the past few weeks, I would have made that.

Here’s what I did end up cooking. Hummus with Lebanese Bread, Lemon Chili Tofu with Snowpeas, Israeli Couscous and a variation of Blue moon rocket salad that left out the cheese and substituted a Walnut Oil Vinaigrette mostly because I had some walnut oil laying about. For dessert I made a Mango Sorbet with Blackberries on top (note that for some vegans this recipe can run afoul of the law as I use processed sugar in the simple syrup for the sorbet.)

This was a fun challenge. The meal was delicious and the evening was delightful. The simplicity of the flavors shined through and the fresh spices from Le Sanctuaire adding wonderful pop.