Home

Riso Venere

tags:

Does anyone know anything about Riso Venere? I found what I thought was an exciting black risotto rice in a specialty shop. Two hours later I am still stirring and its still hard. Clearly this is not your usual risotto grain. Perhaps it needs to be cooked differently. Any words of wisdom?

Re: Riso Venere Followup

After two and half hours of stirring, my wife ate a sandwich and went to bed. A half hour I later I gave in too.

The rice is excellent — kind of a cross between risotto and wild rice. The color is purple, the gravy it produces is creamy and tasty. Another hour of simmering and this will be a delicious side dish.

Still I would love to know more about Riso Vebere and how best to cook it. I’m betting the rice cooker.

Re: Riso Venere

This is not a grain is usually not suitable for rissoto. For what I understand, this type of rice is similar to black or purple rice and is unmilled, leaving a dark husk in place. Because of this, they are classified as brown rice. These grains take longer to cook and should be cooked like brown rice. If you can soak the rice in water overnight or for 4 an hours before you start cooking it, the result will be more tender. To prepare rice, use the proportion of 2 parts water for 1 part rice, and salt to taste. Bring salted water to a boil, and stir in rice. Reduce heat to a minimal simmer, and cook tightly covered for 45 minutes or until all water has been absorbed into rice.

Re: Riso Venere

Thanks for the reply. This rice was delicious. I can imagine how good it will be next time when I prepare it properly.

Since it’s not for risotto, I was wondering if you had any thoughts on what to prepare this with.