Home

Losing weight

OK, we’re all visiting this site because we love food. But I for one think perhaps I’ve been loving food a little bit too much lately…like for the last ten years!

I’ve tried each and every latest faddy diet, and of course they all work if you stick to them, but after a few weeks I always seem to decide that a little bit of pleasure and an extra pound or two will probably make me just as happy as getting back into a pair of jeans.

So, “diet” has become a four-letter word for me. They’re so boring, aren’t they? What I am looking for now are some fast and easy recipe ideas for delicious, healthy lunches and dinners that will miraculously satisfy my appetite, my tastebuds and my vanity all at the same time. It must be possible to shed a few pounds while still enjoying food, no pressure or guilt attached.

Anyone?

Re: Losing weight

Anita-

You bring up a great point — diets are indeed a four letter word. I live by my motto “everything in moderation.” The second I deny myself something, I immediately start craving it. Perhaps I am week, but when I forswear sweets all can I think about is sweets until I cave in and indulge on sweets all the while swearing that tomorrow I will stand firm.

So let common sense rule. Cut out the unnecessary extras and enjoy the family meals. Look for balance. Don’t forswear recipes with cream if you love cream, just enjoy them in moderation. And remember no body ever got healthy by completely cutting carbs from their diet.

So when I want to drop a few I limit sweets to the weekend, make sure to eat in, keep the meals simple, eats lots of veg (sans butter), and have soup at least twice a week as they are filling and delicious without too many calories.

Here are some of my favorite recipes:

Soups: Jewsian Chicken Soup, French Lentil Soup with Sausage, Moroccan chickpea soup, Vegetarian borshch, Quick chicken stock with beaten egg cooked in the soup, Harira, Red Lentil Soup with Pancetta, Nathaniel’s Vegetarian Matzo Ball Soup, Tomato Soup

Sides: Shocked Broc!, Beans Almondine, Blanched okra, Steamed Rapini, Steamed Broccoli, Armenian Beet Salad,

Mains: Summer flank steak (warning - for me this one is hard to eat in moderation), Greek roasted halibut, Steamed fish…

And most important — eat what you love. Only do it in moderation.

Although I agree with the everything in moderation approach, I come at it from a slow food point of view.

1. take your time
  2. use no more than five ingredients in any one dish
  3. avoid processed foods with ingredients that you can not pronounce.
  4. source your food from local farmers.

The trouble is, many of us don’t have access to local farmers and time is a precious commodity. Anita is looking for good meals that can be prepared quite quickly and easily.

Pan-fried fish with a delicious salad and some steamed vegetables is ideal fast food with a low calorie count.

I would suggest carving out some time at the weekend to prepare several dishes that can be dipped into during the week.

A good soup is ideal for your needs, Anita. You can make a big vat of something substantial (a hearty vegetable broth) and take some to work or leave it at home to have with salad and a good chunk of bread.

Also, a stew (served with brown rice if you can bear it) improves with age, as would a chili or bolagnese.

And I don’t know if this is remotely practical, but what about pooling resources with work colleagues so that you are not alone in your endeavours. Perhaps, if you can find agreeable colleagues, you can take turns providing healthy lunches for each other.