Home

Pizza dough - crispy

I’ve been making pizza at home for a while using the same recipe that is posted here on Great Grub. It’s delicious, but I’m looking for something that comes out crispier. I do use tomato sauce on my pizza, but am careful to put it on the rolled out dough just before it goes in the oven so that it won’t soak through. I bake the pizza at 500℉ on a pizza stone. It’s possible that the problem is the tomato sauce, but I’ve had pizza at pizza joints, who use tomato sauce and it comes out crispy. Is it the dough? Can someone reccomend a recipe that will come out crispier, or perhaps another technique? I’ve been told that the sort of mesh pizza pans are not the answer to this problem. I found another recipe online that did not call for letting the dough rise. It seemed very simple and claims to be crispy. Any thoughts??

Thanks!

• Wick
Re: Pizza dough - crispy

Yeah, I’d really like to know the answer to this. I had thought that the secret was to use a pizza stone which I don’t have, but you say you are doing that and it doesn’t help. Do you heat the stone first or just put it in cold with the pizza on it?

I do heat the oven first, but I just got a few other good suggestions from my brother that I’m looking forward to trying:

• put the stone on the FLOOR of the gas oven
  • heat the stone for 40 minutes before putting the pizza in
  • reducing the sauce so there’s less moisture in it or alternatively, adding tomato paste to the sauce to make it thicker.

I’ll let you know how it goes whenever I get around to trying this…

I agree wholeheartedly with your brother about pre-heating your stone. I’ll have to try putting it on the floor of the oven.

Some suggestions: - Pre-heat oven at least 30 minutes _ An even and thinly, docked. rolled crust - Pre-bake crust before adding sauce and ingredients - Use a high gluten flour (bread flour not all-purpose)

I also added a recipe that works great.

John - Thanks for your thoughts. What does “thinly, docked” mean? thanks.

“Docking” is piercing crust with fork all over or using a docking wheel (it helps keep large bubbles in your crust from forming). “Thinly” is my reference to keeping a thin, uniform crust. When the crust is thin it will cook faster and the uniform thickness will help it cook evenly.

Here is my favorite crispy pizza dough. This is best when cooked in a baking tray.

I like it.