Home

Healthy Eating

tags:

My wife and I are looking to eat healthier. Does anybody have any suggestions for a healthy meal plan. We like to cook (she’s better then I am, but I get home from work first in the evening). Too often we have been eating out, getting carry out or prepared foods from the supermarket. It’s starting to show on my waistline.

Any suggestions for a better diet?

(sorry to post this anonymous but my wife would kill me if she found out I gave our name away. I guess she first heard about this site from a friend)

Re: Healthy Eating

First you deserve congratulations for making the effort to eat healthy. And I have good news — eating healthy does not mean sacrificing taste. My approach to healthy eating begins with fresh foods, simple recipes, a healthy dose of common sense and avoiding processed foods as much as reasonably possible.

Let me explain. About the time my older sister turned thirteen and discovered the concept of hips she would without fail ask my mother a different variation of the same question. It went something like this: “Ma, is fudge fattening?” or “Ma, is ice cream fattening?” She would ask with that tone in her voice that begged for my mother to answer “of course not dear, eat as much as you would like.” And in so doing convene that myth into truth. But my mother who I now realize was wise well beyond her years would answer my beseeching sister by saying “everything in moderation.” Now this is not the answer my poor suffering sibling wanted to hear, but I still believe her mantra is the best approach to healthy eating.

You indicated that you are looking to diet as well as eat healthy. When I need to drop a few, I usually turn to soups that are filling but low in calories to form the foundation a few meals a week. Some of my favorites are:

You can find more delicious soups at GreatGrub, but try and avoid the cream based ones for the time being. (And if you need to lose more than a few pounds consult your doctor first)

But soups can only go so far. For the next step I would recommend shopping for organic and locally grown fruits and vegetables. The fruit and veg grown locally will taste better because it is fresh and it won’t need to be smothered with globs of butter. The changing seasons will allow for a healthy variety. Always steam veg when plausible or par boil. Some of my favorite veg recipes are:

For your main courses try and avoid an excess of carbs such as pastas and breads — but only to a point. Here are some of my favorite recipes that fall into the “healthy” category:

Keep your side dishes simple. Avoid dishes like mashed potatoes and gratins loaded with cheese. Some of my favorite recipes for side dishes are:

For snacks and dessert stick to fruits and avoid sugary/salty processed foods as much as possible. You will find a wealth of tasty treats at the farmers markets or in the fruit section of your grocery store. Some of my seasonal favorites are:

• Dates
  • Figs
  • Dried apples
  • Regular apples
  • Oranges
  • Mandarin oranges
  • Blood oranges
  • Grapes
  • Bananas

I like to cook with my wife and even my young kids. The time cooking together in the kitchen is the first step to healthy eating. If you don’t have time during the week, then make the time over the weekend. Soups in particular are easy to prepare in advance.

And if you are into soda’s you can forget about artificial sweeteners. A recent study at Purdue University discovered that those who eat artificial sweeteners ended up gaining more weight then those who don’t eat them. Stick to water, you’ll be better off.

Finally, don’t think of food as the enemy. Healthy eating begins with a healthy attitude. I believe that a healthy attitude begins with my mothers oft repeated saying “everything in moderation.” A few years ago some friends came back from a trip to France. The dollar was doing better then it is now, but still they thought they were getting ripped off. In every restaurant in which they dined they noticed that they were being served their main courses on appetizer plates. They were about to complain when they realized that everybody was being served on smaller plates. And then it hit them — everything in America is bigger from our cars, to our homes, to our portions to our waistlines. I for one believe that the smaller plates are the secret to the French paradox. The wine is good to be sure, but I give the credit to good old fashioned common sense.

Dude… you should write a book. This is an awesome response to the question posed by our anonymous friend. Seriously.

My healthy eating mantra is “keep it fresh”.

I have long since stopped those once-a-week hauls to the maga-markets of the world. Instead, I try and find a market with a really good fish and meat counter (fish, especially, I always buy on the day I eat it).

I also like to buy my fruit and vegetable from local producers (farmer’s markets are great for this). It invariably tastes better and sure helps with the environment (low carbon cost, isn’t that what they call it?).

I also made a concerted effort to reduce my plate portions to half what they were a few years ago. I lost weight without really trying. Nice! Trouble is, with all the great recipes I am finding at GreatGrub, it’s hard not to come back for more which defeats the purpose a bit.

And, one last thing… I hate exercising, but I know a decent walk a few times a week does me the world of good. I kill two birds with one stone by walking to the market!

The Healthy eating is a good for your health. It also help to lose weight if you have to take a right healthy food. Right healthy foods means which is rich in vitamin, minerals, Low in calorie and carbohydrates. Many fruits and vegetables are low in calorie and also high in fiber that helps to maintaining your optimal health.

Thank you all for your comments. And guess what — I’ve lost 15 pounds! The “everything in moderation diet” has been a godsend. My wife and I have been cooking together a lot more and we eat soup at least twice a week. I love the soups. We make them on the weekend and then we have two quick and easy meals on ready to go on the busiest days. Some days I take them to work for lunch.

We have also been saving $ since the busy days used to be the days that we ordered carry out. (I’d put the savings in a savings jar but it is all going to the gas pump.) The rest of the time I get home first so I get started with preparing the meal. I’m getting better and one day soon my wife may just find that I have completed the whole meal before she gets home. Well that is my goal anyway.

Signed, Still Anonymous