Home

Killing Okra enzymes in the oven?

tags: |

Has anyone heard of putting the okra in the oven to kill the enzymes.

A lady I once knew did this but has since passed away and I don’t know what temperature she used or how long she left it in the oven.

Re: Killing Okra enzymes in the oven?

I have heard of putting okra in the oven (which can be quite delicious) but never to kill enzymes. What enzymes are you worried about?

According to the University of Illinois write up “Okra is a powerhouse of valuable nutrients. Nearly half of which is soluble fiber in the form of gums and pectins. Soluble fiber helps to lower serum cholesterol, reducing the risk of heart disease. The other half is insoluble fiber which helps to keep the intestinal tract healthy decreasing the risk of some forms of cancer, especially colorectal cancer. Nearly 10% of the recommended levels of vitamin B6 and folic acid are also present in a half cup of cooked okra.” With a health resume like that I wouldn’t be worried about unhealthy enzymes.

Now okra does have a tendency to get gummy when overcooked which makes it perfect for gumbo, so if you are trying to avoid that gummy sensation baking is an excellent option. If so I would preheat the oven to 450°F, liberally sprinkle a pan with olive oil and then cook the okra until crisp (10 - 15 minutes)

Ooh. I would sprinkle some grated parmesan cheese over the top. Add some nice cheese enzymes to the mix.

My husband cooks okra on the grill. He says it’s a southern thing. He wraps them in bacon strips and then smokes them over the low heat of the coals. I thought he was crazy the first time he made them, but they were very good. It is one of our summertime favs.

Wrapping okra in bacon — now there is a way to get kids to eat their vegetables!

True. My kids love okra wrapped in bacon. Who doesn’t.

I add okra to a salted pot of boiling water. 3 minutes no more. That way it never gets sticky.

Okra is best in gumbo.

Wok fried Okra

Tonight I experimented and discovered a new way of cooking okra. First I got the wok good a screaming hot, then I added a few tablespoons of canola oil and a dash of sesame oil before adding the okra. Cooked it up for about 5 minutes, salted and served. The wok fried okra was a big hit.

I tried your wok fried Okra recipe. It was very good. A pinch of cayman pepper kicked it up a notch.

I love okra and I am not worried about enzymes. Enjoy veg. Worry about processed foods.