Home

Non-liquid fats

In the reference page Seasoning a pan, it suggests “Coat the pan with small film of lard, bacon grease or vegetable shortening. Don’t use a liquid vegetable oils because it will leave the pan sticky and will not correctly season.”

I’ve no real experience of non-liquid fats (other than butter and clarified butter). The only solid fats I know are pig derived which would not go down well in my house. What should I look for?

Re: Non-liquid fats

Just a thought, can you use the cooled fat from a roast chicken or other roast meat?

I am pretty sure you can use a beef-based lard.

OK, so what is beef based lard? Is it the cooled fat that comes off beef when you cook it? If so, can I just skim the fat off my next roast or does it need to be refined in some way?

I don’t know exactly, but I reckon it is pretty easy to buy it next time you do a shop!

Lard is a term usually for rendered pork products. Tallow is more common for rendered beef products. Both is the rendering, heating and eliminating water, of fat and then cooled to semi-solid form. Traditionally used in baking, before the introduction of vegetable shortening.