Home

Valentines' Dilemma

I’ve been planning a delicious romantic meal for my wife for Valentine’s day with dreams of putting the kids to bed early and for one day out of the year dining as husband and wife. So of course my wife just hit me with the news that we will be hosting an out of town guest, the guest’s girlfriend and my wife’s good friend. So I’ve gone from making dinner for one beautiful girl (my wife) to six beautiful woman (I count my daughters in that number). Lucky me. If not romance than why not wonderful company.

So here’s my question. What else can I do to make the day a romantic for my one special Valentine? Suggestions needed.

Re: Valentines' Dilemma

Why not start the day by making her breakfast in bed. Better still, get your kids to help. I know it sounds like weird logic, but if your kids walk into the bedroom with a tray of something special (like smoked salmon egg special) and a rose alongside it with a cup of her favorite tea, she will love you for it because she will know you were the architect.

Then, why not make a plate of lunch that you have delivered to her office desk. Not something ordered in. Something you have made. Your blue moon rocket salad for instance. Yes, she’s probably eaten it a thousand times before, but when she gets delivered to work with some edible flowers thrown in for good measure, your fabulous dressing will be augmented by her tears of joy. And, rest assured, she will show it off to all her work buddies (the women only of course). So when you next walk through her office you will be able to hear the sighs of all the longing, dreaming single women wishing they had someone special… like you.

Oh, and underneath the plate on which her salad is served, a handwritten card — in an envelope marked “desert” — with a choice of homemade massage with essential oils or a day at her favorite spa.

Hey, maybe you can get your house guest to take care of your kids for 30 minutes or so when she gets home.