This is one of my favorite comfort foods. This is the cake not the cookie. Not only will it make the whole house smell good, but every serving is like a big warm hug.
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 stick (4oz) butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 9” x 13” baking pan, buttered on bottom and all sides
- Mixer with paddle
- Skewer or cake tester
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In small saucepan bring water to boil and remove from heat.
- Add molasses and baking soda and stir to combine. Set aside to let cool to lukewarm.
- Sift together dry ingredients: salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, flour, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In mixer bowl, cream butter and sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy.
- Lower speed, and add egg. Mix until incorporated.
- At low speed, alternatively add dry ingredients and molasses mixture to butter/egg mixture until all is combined.
- Pour into prepared baking pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes until skewer in middle comes out clean.
- Set aside and allow to cool.
What you should know
Calvados Apples Goes great with Calvados apples!