These whimsically named cookies are through to have originated in New England at some point during the 19th century and they are great for anytime of the year. These are especially good with coffee or tea and all but guaranteed to put you in good cheer.
- ½ cup butter, room temp
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, room temp
- ¼ cup milk, room temp
- 3 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 5 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- Two baking sheets
- Parchment paper or Silpat mat
- Electric mixer with paddle
- Wire racks
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Beat butter in mixer with paddle until light and fluffy.
- Add sugar and vanilla extract and continue to beat.
- Beat in eggs and milk until incorporated.
- Remove bowl from mixer and sift in flour and baking soda.
- Stir to blend.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Make coating by mixing sugar and cinnamon.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and roll into walnut-sized balls.
- Roll in coating mixture.
- Place on baking sheets about 2 inches apart and flatten slightly.
- Bake for about 10 –11 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool.
What you should know
Click here for more delicious desserts.