Low fat raspberry cream cheese muffins
These muffins are a delicious addition to breakfast or brunch, or as a tasty snack after school. The cream cheese gives the muffins a more gooey, moist texture that will keep you coming back for more - good thing they’re low fat.
- ⅔ cup of ⅓-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup of butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups of sugar
- 1 ½ tsps vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 cups of fresh or frozen raspberries
- ¼ cup of finely chopped walnuts
- 24 Foil muffin liners
- Cup tray
- Large bowl
- Food mixer
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees
- Combine the cream cheese and butter in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at high speed until well blended. Add the sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, egg whites and egg, and beat well.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- With the mixer on a low speed, add the flour mixture and buttermilk to the cream cheese mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Gently fold in the raspberries and walnuts.
- Place the foil cup liners into cup trays, and spoon the batter in.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the knife comes out clean.
What you should know
You can try these muffins with other berries to mix things up a bit. Each muffin contains 4.7g fat, 2.7g protein, 22.6g carbohydrates and 1.1g fiber.