Home

Kitchen Design

After years of saving, I am about to remodel my kitchen. Can anybody recommend any books or websites on the subject. I want to be sure that we do it right.

Re: Kitchen Design

Hi Alexa,

A few years ago for fun I took a UCLA evening class in kitchen design. I really liked the teacher as he is the only kitchen designer I have come across who actually cooks. He used to be a chef and not only does he understand how the processes work in the kitchen from a cooks point of view and he also knows how to evaluate the appliances from a practical pov.

His name is Don Silvers and he has two books which at the very least are worth reading. See my recommendation for Kitchen Design With Cooking in Mind here. His other book is called Kitchen Appliances 101: What Works, What Doesn’t and Why. He is a real personality, gave me a bad grade in the course (in my defense the rest of the students were architects and designers in training) and if I were redoing my kitchen my first call would be to him.

Don Silver’s book is great. It made a huge difference when we were planning our remodel. Even when the workers are gone, his book helps you think about your kitchen as a workspace where everything from spices to spoons needs to be laid out as efficiently as possible. I now save time in the kitchen because I cook the same recipes much faster. Everything is where I need it to be.

I am dying to remodel my kitchen. Tops on my lists are:

1. a professional series stove with 6 burners all of which go from very low simmer to very high boil. (I will also settle for 4 burners if I must)
  2. a second prep sink so that everyone cleaning stays out of my way while I am cooking.
  3. two dishwashers!

once I have these 3 simple things I can cook content.

Great post, your efforts are much appreciated.

Kitchens have so many design options that they are literally never ending. Kitchen design ideas include features such as cabinetry, tiles, counter tops, and so much more.

Good kitchen design online means having a layout for your kitchen that provides you with an efficient and pleasant area in which to prepare meals and do related tasks. Understanding the kitchen work triangle concept and the basic kitchen layouts is a valuable starting point to design a kitchen online that you like.

I am once again feeling happy and proud to say that this is my favorite web site. I really enjoy visiting your GreatGrub!

Few days ago I bought a new house and this book is perfect for my planning of a new kitchen.