Home

Frozen wine

I have a good friend who shall remain nameless since he is active on this website. This nameless fellow was staying in my place while I was away and I came home to find a bottle of of my favorite white wine in stuffed into the freezer. He had put it in there for a fast chill and forgot about it.

I put the wine in the fridge to defrost and now it has what looks like white sugar crystals on the bottom. I have a few questions:

1. Can the bottle be salvaged and if not for drinking can it be used for cooking?

2. What’s the white stuff? Is that the natural sugars or something else?

3. Does anyone have some good suggestions for quick chilling wine?

4. Does anyone have a creative suggestion for revenge? I’m tempted to dilute his scotch with copious amounts of water or worse serve him light beer whenever he comes to dinner. Maybe someone has a better idea for an appropriate payback.

Re: Frozen wine

In defence, it was Christmas morning and were it not for the splendid margaritas (your recipe, sir) in which I partook and which you encouraged me to drink by leaving the ingredients conveniently placed alongside the ice-cream maker, doubtless I would have had the wherewithal’s to remove said bottle prior to it freezing.

I may not have a clinical answer to your question, but why don’t you open it and try it. It is a screw-top after all. Furthermore, I believe I drank all my whisky (and yours) too.

Oh… and one other thing. I probably confused the freezer for the fridge which might explain why our Christmas pudding was topped with vanilla goo that I was certain began its life as ice-cream.

Now I know what happened to my tequila and my whiskey! I still don’t what the white stuff is on the bottom of the bottle.

I’ll be sure to pop the screw top the next time you come for dinner.

a quick way to chill white wine… put some in a martini shaker…fill it with ice and shake it really quick, strain it into a wine glass and voila! your white wine is cold…

The crystals found in the bottom is probably tartaric acid. Often found in the processing of white wines.

Thanks for the explanation but what exactly is tartaric acid? It sounds ominous? Does it have other uses?

Processed version known as “Cream of Tartar” used in baking and candy making.

This item seems to be dominated by a small group of cognoscenti. How precious to make a saga out of a bottle of frozen white wine. When a liquid freezes it expands. If the cork did not pop or the screw cap distort it is probably OK. Let it defrost and try it! Are there no wine bibbers on the distaff side?

I’d probably try to heat it slowly on very light heat to make the crystals dissolve. Not sure what that would do to the wine. If it’s screw top i’d just go buy another then bring back the crystallized wine and ask to exchange it and get 2 for one. I’m a member of a beer of the month club and having left bottles in the freezer and having them break is not fun so can feel you pain.

My wine cooler went haywire and froze 50 bottles of red wine. My question is should I drink the wines that did not loose the cork ASAP, or will they still shelve ok? Your test had the same results that I tasted with my frozen wine. marire sani

I had a friend who had a similar problem.

He drank one of his good reds that had been previously frozen to test it and it was ok. A few days later he tested another by drinking it. It was ok too. He worked his way through them over a period of time and found they all drank pretty well.

I guess he used it as a good excuse to drink his wines quicker than he would have otherwise, and an equally good excuse to re-stock his collection!

Well first of all let me suggest you to get a Wine cellar and keep it a cold dark spot of the house, this is the best way to store wine. Once that wine was frozen there is no turning back, as for the revenge idea I think you should just invite your friend at your place and give him that wine for a drink.