Home

Eating out in LA

Hey there my la food loving friends. Can you recommend some spots in Los Angeles for some great dining We are … adventurous, refined and definitely willing to splurge on an amazing meal.

Re: Eating out in LA
  1. Gjelina in Venice
  2. The Hungry Cat in Hollywood
  3. Tavern in Brentwood
  4. AOC on 3rd Street in West LA
  5. Lucques on Melrose
  6. Comme Ca on Melrose
  7. Axe in Venice
  8. Mercantile in Hollywood
  9. The Tasting Kitchen in Venice
  10. Canele in Atwood Village/Glendale

Everyone I know whose taste in food I trust (including the folks here) raves about Gjelina. It’s at the top of my list of places to try. Here are some other places where I’ve had outstanding meals recently:

Animal — the place to go for meat lovers The Bazaar — tapas with molecular gastronomy and some of the best sangria ever Mozza — egg raviolo, ‘nuff said

Also, if you’re looking for an amazing brunch place with baked goods on par with Tartine in SF, be sure to hit Huckleberry in Santa Monica.

I am a huge fan of Tartine and try to go there every time I am in San Francisco. Hell I’d go to San Francisco just to go there.

And, of course, Huckleberry is great too and reason enough to make a trip to Santa Monica.

Hungry Cat ended up being the closest to where I was. I had a Sicilian gaglioppo (!) and steamed crab in a whole grain mustard sauce. Damn good.

Thanks,

I was a bit disappointed with The Tasting Room. Over-priced I reckon.

Curious to ask among this knowledgeable gathering, where would you go for good fish? I have yet to be blown away by some good pescatarian cuisine in LA in the way you can be in, say, New York, London and Paris.

I have yet to try the Tasting Room so I cannot speak to your disappointment. As for your search good fish I am more than a little surprised that you have not been “blown away” for Los Angeles has fish far better than anything I have tasted in New York, London or Paris. Indeed the city of angeles is teaming with excellent choices for your run of the mill pescatarian and they come in the form of sushi.

Here are a two of my favorites for Omakase “trust me” chef’s specials where the chef’s focus on the excellent quality of the fish and don’t need to dress it up in fancy rolls:

1. Sushi Sasabune - 112400 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90025-1043
  2. Echigo - 12217 Santa Monica Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90025-2589
  3. 4 On 6 Sushi - 16573 Ventura Blvd Ste 14, Encino, CA 91436
  4. Sushi Nozawa - 11288 Ventura Blvd, Studio City

There are many more excellent options for sushi in LA. Some of my favorite places for less traditional and more accessible include:

1. Hamasaku - 11043 Santa Monica Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90025
  2. Sushi Roku - Santa Monica/Downtown/Santa Monica
  3. Matsuhisa - Beverly Hills
  4. Nobu - Los Angeles/Malibu
  5. R23 - 923 E 2nd St Los Angeles, California 90012

There are of course many more excellent sushi options spread out across the city, many of which are all but guaranteed to “blow away” your pescatarian taste buds.

As for great seafood restaurants that aren’t sushi related — I can’t think of any worth going out of my way for.