Submitted by Jackie French on 20 March 2008 - 3:20am.
Serves 2 large appetites, or 4 small ones
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 cup water
- 1 heaped tb butter
- 1 heaped tb flour
- half cup cream
- juice of half a lemon
- 1-3 tb chopped parsley
- 4 eggs, not too hardboiled ie cooked for about 6 minutes
- possibly a little milk
- black pepper
- salt to taste
- optional: 1 tb parmesan cheese, grated
- Large pot
- Sauce pan
- Boil asparagus in the water till it’s as soft as you like it. Scoop out the asparagus and snap off the hard bottom bits- don’t do this before cooking as they will flavour the water.
- In another pan melt the butter; stir in the flour; slowly add the asparagus water, stirring well so it isn’t lumpy. Add the cream; stir till thickened over a low heat. You may need to add milk to thin it. Add the lemon juice, the parsley, the cheese if you are using it. Stir again over a low heat while you add the chopped asparagus. Take off the heat as soon as the asparagus is warm- don’t cook it any more.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta; chop the hardboiled eggs on top of it., one or two per person.
What you should know
For more recipes and information about my children’s books visit my website JackieFrench.com