Catherine's King Ranch Chicken
Submitted by Jessica W Dasher on 3 May 2007 - 2:15am.
This is a great casserole from my friend Catherine. It is easy to make on a Sunday and serve for dinner, then reheat for dinner later in the week.
- 1.5 lbs. chicken breasts
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 tbsp. oil (canola)
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp mild green chilis, chopped
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 lb. stewed tomatoes
- 1 8 oz. container of sour cream
- 2 tbsp. butter
- ½ - 1 lb monterey jack cheese, shredded
- broth from cooking chicken
- Stock pan
- Saute pan
- Casserole Dish
- Poach chicken breasts in water or chicken broth until cooked through.
- Drain and cube chicken, reserving broth.
- Saute onions and green pepper in a few tablespoons of canola oil.
- Add spices, chilis, tomatoes, soup, and sour cream.
- Line a casserole dish with tortillas that have been softened in broth.
- Layer with chicken, sauces, and cheese.
- Bake at 350°F degrees for 30-40 minutes.
What you should know
A crowd pleaser that serves 8-10 people, easily!