Cucumber and basil martini
A martini is never going to be a tame drink – there’s just too much power in the barely diluted alcohol – but this lovely version is aromatic and elegant. It’s a huge favourite at our kind-of Jewish deli, Mishkin’s, in Covent Garden, London.
- 5 basil leaves
- 3 slices cucumber
- 60ml Hendrick’s gin
- 5ml sugar syrup
- Boston glass - cocktail shaker
- Cocktail strainer
- Martini glass (chilled)
- Muddle basil leaves in a Boston cocktail glass.
- Add cucumber and muddle lightly.
- Add gin, sugar syrup and some ice.
- Stir for 30 seconds to properly chill.
- Double strain, to remove all stray bits, into martini glass.
- Garnish with two basil leaves.