Submitted by kwonberg on 22 July 2007 - 5:42pm.
This pasta dinner with heirloom tomato sauce, baked cauliflower, and little gem salad is an easy dinner for a warm summer evening.
- 3 lbs heirloom tomatoes
- 2 lbs Italian sausages (spicy or mild or combo)
- large onion
- fresh basil
- gem lettuces
- 1 avocado
- olive oil
- one large headed cauliflower(or several small)
- toasted pine nuts
- red pepper flakes
- food processor
- large saute pan
- large pasta pot
- pyrex pan
For the Sauce
- Saute chopped onions in olive oil over a medium heat until translucent.
- Add sausages and brown-you can serve whole or cut into smaller pieces.
- Add chopped garlic.
- Reduce heat and simmer on low.
- Meanwhile, wash and rough dice tomatoes and place in the food processor with lots of basil and sea salt.
- Pulse 3 or 4 times to create a chunky tomato fine sauce/leave in machine to meld flavors.
- Heat water for pasta.
Prep the Cauliflower
- Cut cauliflower into quarters-place in pyrex pan-pour a liberal amount of olive oil over
- add sea salt/any fresh herbs chopped garlic-
- squeeze lemon/chili flake to taste.
- Bake at 425 for 30-40 minutes.
- Add toasted pine nuts to cauliflower after 30 minutes.
Bring it all together
- At the same time place pasta in salted boiling water-cook 10 minutes.
- Cut gem lettuces into quarters.
- Add olive oil,salt pepper, vinegar, fine diced avocado-squeeze of lemon. Mix well
- When pasta is ready and drained, pour the tomato sauce into the saute pan with the sausages and onions add pasta and a little pasta water if not enough liquid. Toss together let pasta sit in sauce for 2 minutes.
- Pour dressing over lettuces.
- Take cauliflower out of oven
- Serve and drink with a nice wine.