Home

Holiday help

I am counting the minutes…

Soon I will take up residence in a perfect, picture-book cottage beside a tranquil lake in the middle of nowhere somewhere in Canada. On the deck there is a length outdoor grill that, doubtless, will form the centrepiece of our culinary experience.

Last night I woke up with a frightening thought. The cottage is remote. I will need to purchase most of the week’s ingredients in Toronto before heading north. I will be in a kitchen I don’t know which I must assume has nothing in it… and almost certainly is without a decent knife or pan.

What on earth am I to do? What should I bring? Should I pack my cook’s knife? Should try and pack my favourite cast-iron skillet? Should I smuggle in some of essential ingredients so that my grilled steak tastes OK?

In the hope that there are some travelers out there who have experienced similar challenges (or neuroses) I would welcome some advice.

Thank you.

Re: Holiday help

Your question comes at the perfect time as I have just returned from a vacation where we cooked some terrific meals. Here’s the advice that comes to my mind.

1. Check before you leave. Most vacation houses have the basics.

2. Inquire about local farmers markets. I stumbled upon some great ones.

3. Think about eating local. One of the treats about traveling is savoring local flavors and seasonal produce of different regions.

4. Plan your menus in advance. It helps to write it down and to the know the number of people.

5. Keep your menus simple. There is no point in trying to cook that perfect dish that requires loads of special ingredients.

6. Forget about schlepping your kitchen knives and other toys. That cheap knife will still cut and the dented pan will still conduct heat.

7. Prepare to be inventive. I once cooked with two inspired cooks who jury rigged a scale out of a rolling pin and a baking sheet.

8. Encourage everyone to break from old habits for a few days. I may love my French press and my kids may love their soft boiled eggs in the morning, but we managed brilliantly. My wife through trial and error discovered how to make a perfect poached egg and I discovered that fresh Lemon mint iced tea makes a darn good alternative to mediocre drip coffee.

Oh and if you are driving… disregard everything I just said. I’ve stuffed my French press, ice-cream maker, cocktail shaker and even my panini maker into the back of the car!

I am not driving (though will be renting a car there).

Thanks for the sound advice, by the way.

The most important question: Is there refrigeration? This will determine ingredients for meal.