Home

Rice cookers

tags:

A friend in England asked me recently whether it was worth getting a rice cooker and, if yes, what type. Are there any experts out there that can provide an informative response I can pass on to my friend?

Re: Rice cookers

If you make rice more than once a month or simply share my love of kitchen toys, then the answer to your friend’s question is absolutely yes a rice cooker is worth the expense.

As for question of which to get, the answer get a little more complicated. If you make lots of rice than by all means purchase the Zojirushi Neuro-Fuzzy Logic Rice Cooker. See my write up in recommendations. I have no idea how the fuzzy logic bit works, but I can testify that the result is perfect fluffy rice every time.

If you are not ready to spend the big bucks there are any number of cheaper rice cookers and in my experience they all do a better job of preparing the rice then doing it yourself on the stove top. Maybe this has something to do with my innate ability to burn the bottom every time, so having a machine that automatically switches to warm mode is a big bonus.

The only down side is that many of the cheaper models ware out and must be periodically replaced.

Re: Rice cookers

I kinda like a good old-fashion rice cooker without the FUZZY logic. With less programming options, I just decide how many minutes the type of rice I’m cooking needs and set, voila! My rice cooker has lasted 7 years!

Now, in commercial kitchens in Hong Kong, it is not uncommon for rice to be steamed in big steamers. This ensures thorough cooking and eliminates the chance of stickiness.

Oh, for those who want perfectly prepared jasmine rice without the electrical appliances, here’s the trick; NEVER, NEVER lift the lid after the water has come to a boil and keep turning the heat/flame down.