Home

Stemless wine glasses. Good thing or bad?

tags: |

The WSJ writers Dorothy Gaiter and John Brecher have stated their ambivalence about stemless wine glasses. They love them on the one hand because the informality suits their philosophy that wine should be easy and comfortable. They dislike them on the other hand as the purpose of stems is to avoid warming the wine with your hands.

I am big fans of this husband and wife team and respect their opinion. Does anybody have anything to add to the debate.

Re: Stemless wine glasses. Good thing or bad?

Hi Andrew

I’m a traditionalist and when drinking quality wine I want a traditional glass.

No debate.

I guess it maybe different for Californian wines!

Michael,

Thanks for your response. My feeling is that you are dead on when it comes to a quality wine. But recently I was at a friend’s house for a casual dinner and they served a good but cheap bottle in stemless glasses. Maybe it was the novelty, but I really enjoyed the informality.

We save the best wines for ourselves here in California. Just like we can’t get a good British beer in the States. Next time you are in town, look me up. I’ll introduce you to the good stuff. I’ll even serve it in a proper glass.

I’ll be honest; I own a set of these. I don’t use them for my everyday wine glass because I’ve gotten too used to having a stem, and I’m a creature of habit. I have used them, and they are fun! I tend to use them for red wine rather than whites because my hands warm the wine too quickly by holding the bowl

When a particular growing season is deemed a vintage year, then the wine from that year will be made solely or predominantly from that year’s grapes, and that year will be denoted on the label. Therefore, any Champagne or Port with a year, is a “good” year.

Andrew

Thanks for the offer; I will. Perhaps I’ll also bring something to share. However, I’m not sure how long it will be until I’m in your area.

In the meantime, I’ll go back to my very pleasant Cabernet Merlot from New South Wales, believe it or not, called Broken Shackle. I highly recomend it. The glass has a six inch stem.

Regards

Michael

I’m a traditionalist and I like stemed glasses. I like to be able to tilt and angle the glass, to really appreciate the whole context of wine without getting my hand in the way. If you just want to insult the vintner and the time he has spent developing his craft, just down it with a paper cup! The only time I truly want the heat of my hand to effect the contents is brandy. But then again, I dislike fads (i.e, disco). Or maybe, I like to be able to reach for my glass without the complementary saucing of my sleeve at a nice dinner.

All I know is that if you hand me a stemmed wine glass, it will soon be out of your possession forever. I always, somehow, someway end up breaking them. Even the plastic ones for use around the pool cannot withstand my wrath. As a result, my husband and I save the stemware for guests only. And I am forbidden from hand washing the good ones since we want to hang on to them…

I have a hard time viewing the “stemless wine glasses” as informal. I mean.. they are still shaped to complement a specific wine/varietal like Burgundy or Cab Sauv. They are still thin rimmed and clear.

I say, if you are going informal do it. My wife and I regularly drink everyday wine out of our “cow glasses”. One of my favorite bistro’s serves wine in what appear to be stemless water glasses - and it’s great.

The problem I see with the “stemless wine glasses” is that they sit uncomfortably in that middle ground between formality and informailty. Seriously, is a stem really that intimidating?

Tell me what you eat, and I’ll tell you who you are.

It occurs to me that one of the benefits of a glass with a stem is that it disinguishes it from the water glass.

Burgundy Wine

Choosing Burgundy wine glasses is a task that should be taken seriously, not only because it is a fun activity to buy and to have nice looking wine glasses, but also because a great wine glass is a reflection of your personality, of your taste and of the way you lead your life, a fitting glass of wine will say a lot about you, and it is up to you if you want people to know you have some knowledge about wines and the correct way to serve a cup of Burgundy that is in the most elegant and correct way possible, because also, a good wine should never be served in a common glass of wine, and this is the case with Burgundy wine glasses, which should be of a top quality just like the wine that is being served.

Hi. I am very curious why the opinion no stemless glasses but that ‘maybe it is different for California wines’. Why would it be different? As opposed to Spanish wines, French wines, New York state wines? Please explain this.

I think that comment that “it may be different for Californian wines” is a snub from a traditionalist! Of course it is not different for Californian wines. But among the old-fashioned wine snobs of Western Europe, a stemless glass is inconceivable for any wine.

To this Western European, I care much more about what is in the glass than I do the receptacle.

red wine

Hi,

Nice article…..I need one information , How to open a wine bottle? Is it OK to store wine in a PET bottle / outside the fridge and for how long?

Ice wine is ready to drink once released but can be aged for about 5-8 years.

I think Stemless wine glass is bad choice.

I love wine. I cant live without wine. Wine is my favorite

I love stemless especially for moderately priced wines.