Fettuccini carbonara with steamed broccoli on the side
Let’s face it, we all have those days when we simply need to throw something on the table, get the kids to bed and then pour ourselves a good cocktail. So here’s a menu for some Italian comfort food that that will put the whole family in a good mood and may just make you forget about that blessed cocktail.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Start to Table: 30 minutes
Difficulty: Easy to Moderate
- 3 eggs
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup romano cheese
- ½ lb pancetta or bacon, diced
- 2-4 cloves of garlic
- 1 lb fettuccini
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- Broccoli (⅓ lb per person, aprox)
- large pot for boiling water
- serving dish large enough to hold pasta
- large skillet
- Steamer (over pot of boiling water)
- Beat eggs in serving dish. Set aside.
- Heat oil and butter in skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and stir until garlic begins to color. Discard garlic.
- Add pancetta or bacon. Cook 10 to 15 minutes and turn off heat.
- Bring both pots of water to boil. Add 1 Tbsp salt.
- Add fettucini to large pot. Cook uncovered until pasta is al dente (tender but firm to bite) about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile place broccoli in steamer and put steamer on second pot of boiling water. Cook for about 8 minutes or until desired tenderness.
- Drain pasta in colander and add to skillet. Season with red pepper and salt.
- Mix over low heat until pasta is well coated.
- Pour all of the contents (not the broccoli) into serving dish with the eggs.
- Add cheeses to pasta and mix quickly making sure that all is thoroughly combined.
- Remove Broccoli to a second serving dish and add a pinch of salt to taste.
- Serve and enjoy