Thanksgiving Cranberry Chutney
Here is a delicious cranberry chutney that will make your Thanksgiving feast a special one. You can prepare this well in advance and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Makes: enough for a up to 10-12 people.
Cook & Prep Time: 15-25 minutes.
- 1.5 cups cranberries (1 12oz bag will do fine)
- ½ un-peeled orange, zested and then chopped
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ onion, finely chopped (preferably white onion)
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup crystallized ginger
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup raisins
- 6 dates, chopped
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- ½ tsp mustard powder (regular mustard can be substituted)
- 2 Tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Grand Marnier or Triple Sec
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp fresh sage, chopped (additional)
- Zest of one Orange (see above)
- Large sauce pan, pot or dutch oven
- Large spoon
- Place all the step one ingredients into a large sauce pan and set over a medium heat. Stir until cranberries begin to pop, about ten mintues.
- Remove from heat.
- Let cool 5 minutes and add the orange zest and remaining Tablespoon of sage.
- Serve at room temperature.
What you should know
Note: this is a ½ recipe for Cranberry sage chutney which I find is good for very large parties or lots of leftovers. This half recipe is more than sufficiant for parties of 12 or less.