Perfect poached egg
A soft boiled egg is one of those perfect weekend treats and here is a recipe that makes it as easy as a Sunday morning.
- 1 Tbl white wine vinegar
- Water (enough to fill saucepan to a depth of about 3”)
- Sauce pan
- small pyrex bowl (large enough to hold one egg, but small enough to fit into pot)
- Slotted spoon
- Prepare toast.
- Add vinegar to water in saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat so that the water barely bubbles.
- Crack egg into pyrex (or heat proof) dish.
- Gently slide the egg from the dish into the water.
- Boil for 2 minutes - runny, 2 minutes 30 seconds - soft, 3 minutes - firm.
- Remove from water with a slotted spoon.
- Drain off excess water and place on toast.
- Salt to taste.
What you should know
I prefer to toast my bread in a cast iron skillet with a tablespoon of olive oil. The way I see it, it tastes great and a tablespoon of olive oil is no worse for me (and perhaps a lot better) than the equivalent amount of butter.