French onion soup
I like this soup, and particularly the onions because when they are cooked in the butter they are fondant and sweet. My mother made this recipe when I was younger but not very often because my sister hates onions so now I make it again and again! In France we eat onion soup after new year celebrations, at 1 o’clock. It’s a real custom and it’s good after you have had a lot of drink.
- 1 Kg onions
- 50 g of butter
- 10 cl of white wine or blond beer
- 1 litre of fowl or vegetable broth
- 3 tea spoons of flour
- 2 leaves of laurel
- A little grated nutmeg
- Cut in small piece the onions.
- Glaze the onions in the butter.
- Deglaze with the wine or the beer.
- Add the flour and mix quickly.
- Add the broth, the herbs, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Cover and cook for 50 minutes on soft fire, mixing from time to time.
What you should know
Click here for more satisfying soup recipes.