Asparagus season in England lasts only a few weeks. They should be eaten at least once a day during this time. And there is no better way than gently boiled and eaten with melted butter.
- A bunch of asparagus spears
- Some butter (melted for dipping if you like)
- A pan of boiling water
- Remove the woody ends of the spears.
- Gently tie the spears together before placing them in the pan (this protects the tips).
- Boiling time will vary, but usually no more than a few minutes. (You should be able to easily pierce the thicker end with a sharp knife.)
- Remove, drain, season with salt and black pepper and serve with a generous knob of butter.
- Eat immediately.
What you should know
I eat this as a snack with a glass of good, crisp white wine. Simply yummy!