Home

Rice noodles

tags:

How do you use fine rice noodles in a stir fry dish? Whenever I try they always go mushy.

Re: Rice noodles

I don’t. Mine go mushy too. For that reason, I prefer egg noodles.

Rice noodles cook very fast. If you are trying to cook them like regular noodles, they will turn mushy. If using in stir fry, I leave the noodles a little more “al dente” and add last with a little water to cook until soft.

The traditional method is soaking dried rice noodles in room temperature water for at least 1 hour. Be sure there is enough water to completely immerse the noodles. After 1 hour, they should be soft, firm but flexible. At this point they are ready for cooking. Drain off water before using.

The Fast method is to bring enough water to a boil to cover the noodles (or you can use very hot tap water). Turn off heat and immerse rice noodles in hot water for 3-7 minutes until noodles are soft, cooked through but still firm and al dente, not mushy (check firmness frequently). Rinse with cold water for 30 seconds and drain well.

The room temperature soak looks like a really useful tip, thanks. I suspect even 3 minute in boiling water would be too much for the noodles I have.