Home

Using Convection Ovens

I have a beautiful oven with convection, but I am ashamed to admit that I don’t really know how best to take advantage of this feature. It is great for roast chicken, but I am scared to use it when I am baking. Perhaps it is best for roasting but not for baking? Does anybody have any good advice?

Re: Convection oven

The convection oven is a beautiful if simple improvement over radiant ovens. Unfortunately the manufactures do a terrible job of informing customers on how to take advantage of their product. Simply put a convection oven is an oven with a fan that circulates the hot air. This is different from traditional radiant ovens that heat from below (bake) and above (broil).

The advantages of the circulating air are twofold.

1. Foods cook more evenly thanks to an even distribution of heat.
  2. Circulating hot air accelerates the cooking process.

So your chicken tastes better because the fat renders faster and browns more quickly. It also stays juicer because the meat cooks faster.

This same process is a boon to bakers. Butters in crusts, cookies and croissants release their moisture faster and therefore will be flakier and fluffier.

I would also recommend the convection for roasting potatoes and vegetables as the sugars are caramelized faster creating crisp skins and soft insides. I’ve made Mum’s roast potatoes both with and without the convection and the difference with the convection is noticeable. Not only are the skins crispier and the inside flesh softer but also I can use less oil to achieve a better taste.

So I can recommend using your convection for almost all foods. But you need to make allowances. I suggest following the 25%/25°F rule of thumb.

This rule of thumbs states that most items cooks 25% faster at 25°F lower. So simply reduce the time by 25% and lower the temperature by 25°F.

Try it and see. Once you go convection I doubt you will ever go back.

Re: Convection oven

Baking bread is one area where you may want to think twice about using the convection setting. Some bakers claim that the radiant heat gives bread color its visual appeal and complex flavors. And more to the point the bread may end up fluffier or lighter than expected. Experiment and see.