Home

What to cook when you don't feel like cooking?

Hi…

There must be other people, particuarly singles or people who live alone, like me. I have a full-time career which necessitates in me working lots of overtime,outings with friends a couple of nights a week…

The times I come home to an empty house, I open the door of my refrigerator and stare…simply stare.. at the contents therein. Lucky I am a great believer in eating healthy foods, because otherwise it would be so easy for me to pick up the phone and order pizza every night of the week! I don’t want to get lazy when it comes to preparing nutritious meals during the week, but I get a tad tired of eating steamed vegies or tossed salad with a chicken most nights (I did go vegan for a while, but was always hungry)!

Could someone offer some alternative suggestions to brightening up an evening meal once in a while for a single person?

Many thanks!

Re: What to cook when you don't feel like cooking?

Hi Jill. I think yours is a very common issue. It’s hard to make a fuss for one! One thing I have done in the past is use the weekend (when I have more time) to make some dishes for the week. I find soup is a great fridge-filler… a bowlful of good vegetable soup with a chunk of bread makes the perfect meal for me. Try some Vegetarian Lentil Soup or Sue’s Spinach and Lentil Soup for instance. Pasta is another staple… and Diana’s Pasta with garlic, olive oil and broccoli is a great, easy-to-make and quick supper. For something a bit sophisticated what about Pan Fried Tofu with Lemon, Chili & Snowpeas? Good luck.

Many thanks, David..certainly will give these recipes a try, but must confess that even though I did go vegan for a while, never had tofu..what does this taste like…and what is the difference between firm and silken?

Again, many thanks for helping a frustrated single with alternatives to the chicken and salad meals!!!

Cheers Jill

Vegan or no, tofu can be great. What I love about the soybean based ingredient is that it is essentially neutral. Tofu is great at absorbing other flavors and therefore offers the cook a lot of flexibility. I always use firm when pan frying as it holds it’s shape.

Jacques Pepin’s cookbook Fast Food My Way is simply fantastic. Full of easy quick recipes for people on the go and who need a good nutritious meal quickly.

John