Home

Bacon Drippings?

I recently decided to start saving the drippings from cooking bacon. I strain it through a coffee filter and into a jar with a tight fitting lid. The only query I have is can I use the drippings for anything that would call for butter or shortening? Let me know what your thoughts are.

~Cera

Re: Bacon Drippings?

The answer is yes, if you like a slightly smoky flavor. My grandmother used it in biscuits and her oatmeal cookies. It is best used in baking when it is cold (semi-solid). It should be strained of debris from cooking and stores great in freezer. It was often used in the days as a alternative to lard. It is great for fried rice, rubbing on potatoes before roasting, and for flavor as in, soups, beans, and eggs.

Thanks for the reassurance :)

What a great idea. I never would have thought to save the drippings from bacon to use in baking and my whole family loves bacon. Just about every weekend we eat a whole package. So we could store up a fair amount. My question is — how long will the filtered drippings last in the refrigerator?

Strained bacon drippings will last for 2 -3 months easily if properly refrigerated.