Home

Salad for a camping trip

tags:

My kid’s class is doing their annual camping trip and I have volunteered to bring a salad. I’d like it to be a salad that I can prepare at home in the morning, or the night before, and serve in the evening. I’d like to use seasonal fall vegetables. The red cabbage recipe looks good (maybe add the pine nuts at the last minute so they’re still crunchy?). But I’d like to hear any other ideas you have.

Re: Salad for a camping trip

Sounds like fun! How old are the kids? And are you making the salad for them or the parents?

My favorite salad is Andrew’s Blue Moon Rocket salad. This has a wonderful autumnal feel to it with the earthiness of the rocket, sumptuousness of the figs and crunch of sweet pecan. The blue cheese may be a bit much for the children, but that can be an optional extra. Also, you may need to adapt the dressing (which of course you would add at the last moment) if you can’t get the real deal.

Another way to go may be to make a hearty Creamy Homemade Hummus. This is extremely easy to prepare in advance, and you could bring a load of crunchy vegetables that you could dip.

I recently tried the Beet and walnut salad which would make a refreshing alternative to a traditional salad. The beets would go quite nicely with typical camping foods like hamburgers and hotdogs. You can make this the day before since it involves time in the oven.

The salad is for the grown ups, though hopefully some kids will eat it. I was intimidated by the Hare Hollow Blackberry Ginger Balsamic Vinegar and Stonehouse Persian Lime Olive Oil requirement. Will it be fine with the balsamic vinegar and olive oil that I already have in my cupboard? I love the idea of freshly roasted pecans while camping.

Don’t be intimidated by the Blackberry Ginger Balsamic Vinegar and Persian Lime Olive Oil requirement. That recipe was written in response to a specific request to recreate a salad I just happened to make. A better guide would be my story Anatomy of a salad. You will see that any good olive oil and balsamic will suffice. Trust you judgment — and your taste buds. And since you are camping be sure to make extra. You can pre-mix in a jar and store in a cooler. Dressing holds up well.

And yes. Toast the pecans over an open fire (in a cast iron skillet). Better than s’mores.