Home

Food for health nuts?

I’ve got some Wellness class—yes, that’s what they call P.E. now, but they’ve integrated a classroom segment—project to do about eating right and smart. I was wondering if people could recommend some healthy recipes on GreatGrub if possible. Thanks in advance.

Re: Food for health nuts?

You ask a really valuable question. My approach to healthy eating begins with the saying “everything in moderation.” Meaning healthy eating does not imply giving up the joy of eating. If you love ice cream, then have ice cream — in moderation. If you love fried foods, then eat fried foods — in moderation. Eat these things as a part of of a varied and balanced diet.

The next element is time — specifically making time for friends and family. In our over programmed, over connected, always in a rush society we all too often neglect the time to sit down with our friends and family for a simple meal. My doctor tells me that kids who eat dinner with their parents at the table (tv’s and blackberry’s off please) do better in school, score higher on IQ tests, have less issues with drugs and in my esteem are better prepared for life. No joke. Think about it. It’s not the food — its time spent making personal connection that makes the difference. We are digesting more than the food when we sit at the table.

As for recipes. Most here are healthy if you judge by the terms listed above. The thesis of the story Choosing Key Ingredients can also be applied to healthy eating. I would start with that.

Here’s a challenge for your wellness class. See if you’re whole class can go one week without consuming corn syrup. This is no small task. The sticky sweetener is pervasive in the grocery store aisles.

Worse it has been associated with the ever growing girth of the American waistline, diabetes and a host of other weight related health issues. So simply removing that one ingredient from your diets would send you well along the path to healthy eating.

Besides the above comments, I would like to add that healthy food goes beyond just the way it effects your personal body. The food choices you make effect the health of your community and the environment too.

Knowing where your food comes from and how it is made is an important first step in eating healthily. Choosing food that is grown locally, by farmers who respect their land and the traditions of farming, ensures you are eating fresh, seasonal foods that a) haven’t travelled a gazillion miles to get your plate, and b) are supporting your local economy and food heritage.

Two good rules to follow, besides choosing local, are to never eat anything with more than five ingredients, and to never eat anything with ingredients you can’t pronounce.

Cecily Upton Slow Food in Schools Coordinator Slow Food USA

Nuts are always good for the health and fitness.

Using boiled nuts or just frying it with some salt and pepper can also be good to eat.

I am also wondering about good and healthy recipes. What are some favorites.

Eating nuts as part of a healthy diet can be good for your heart. Nuts, which contain unsaturated fatty acids and other nutrients, are a great snack food, too.

Nuts are good for healthy heart obviously. It’s oil are used for many purpose. Doctors recommend to eat nuts daily for maintaining blood pressure and avoiding heart attack.