Braised Pork Chops in Tomato Sauce and Marmalade
This recipe created from memory of first dinner cooked for my then future wife in 1973 in tiny apartment in Brooklyn Heights, NY. Just as good as it was then. The surprise is the marmalade which makes all the difference…. 40th anniversary of event this fall.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1Tablespoon Butter
- 2 large pork chops, tenderloin, trimmed
- 1 clove, thin-sliced garlic
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 2-3 canned peeled Roma tomatoes
- ¼ cup beef boullion (double strength from cube)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup marmalade
- Medium size enameled iron covered baking pot (le Creuset)
- Serving platter
- In medium size enameled iron covered baking pot (le Creuset), melt butter and add oil over medium high heat on stove top.
- Brown pork chops about 5 minutes a side.
- Remove to platter and add onions, and garlic to pot and cook until translucent/ brown.
- Add tomato sauce and tomatoes to pot.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Put pork chops back into pot covering with sauce. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 40 minutes, covered.
- Remove cover, add marmalade, continue to simmer uncovered at medium/low heat another 45 minutes, turning chops every 15 minutes, and adding more boullion as needed, to keep sauce from becoming too thick.
- Remove chops to serving platter. Scrape up residue on bottom of pot into sauce, and pour over chops.
- Serve with braised zucchini with oregano. Any wine will do.