These pancakes are a Sunday morning ritual in our house.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 Tbl sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 4 Tbl unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 Tbl canola oil
- 1 Tbl butter
- Fresh fruit or berries (optional but recommended)
- 2 mixing bowls
- Skillet or large frying pan
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk eggs, buttermilk, and 4 tablespoons butter of melted butter (not too hot).
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and whisk well. The batter will have small lumps. This is okay.
- Heat skillet or frying pan over medium heat.
- Add oil and then butter to skillet and mix together with spatula.
- With ladle pour batter onto skillet to form each pancake.
- When bubbles appear on top (approx. 2 minutes) flip pancakes.
- Remove from pan when cooked through (approx. 1 minute more).
- Serve with maple syrup, powdered sugar and an additional pad of butter and fresh fruit as desired.
What you should know
Bacon or breakfast sausages make a perfect combination.
I use canola oil in the hot skillet with the butter to keep the butter from burning. It has no distinguishable impact on the taste.Canola oil