super fluffy pancakes
This pancake recipe requires a little extra work, but the payoff is beautiful fluffy pancakes that look beautiful and taste delicious.
Serves: 6 to 10
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 2 large eggs, separated
- pinch of cream of tarter, less the ⅛tsp (optional)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- extra butter for pan
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl or mixer (for whipping egg whites)
- Medium bowl for wet ingredients
- Mix dry ingredients in the large bowl.
- Separate eggs. Place egg whites into mixing bowl. Add yolks to bowl for wet ingredients.
- With a whisk or a mixer whip egg whites. When large bubbles appear add a pinch of cream of tartar and continue to whip to soft peaks. Set aside.
- Combine wet ingredients (except for egg whites) in a bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and whisk well to remove any lumps.
- With a spatula fold whipped eggs whites into pancake mixture. Be careful not to over stir.
- Over a medium low heat melt about 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Ladle pancake batter in skillet pouring from center for round pancakes.
- When bubbles form and stay the pancakes are ready to flipped.
- Serve with butter, powdered sugar, maple syrup or all of the above.
What you should know
By whipping the egg whites into frothy peaks the pancakes will remain nice and fluffy when cooked.
Cream of tarter helps make the egg whites nice and firm. It is a nice touch but not necessary.
Extra batter can be stored in the refrigerator for a few days.