Chancho al Horno (Peruvian Pork)
This is my mother’s recipe. She made this for special events. For example, she loved to make this for my father’s birthday because this was his favorite dish. My mother was born in the south of Peru but we lived in the north. Our friends and neighbors loved this southern variation.
- 1 pork shoulder
- 2 cups vinegar
- 4 heads of garlic
- 3 tablespoons Cumino (cumin)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- large roasting pan
- small sharp knife
- aluminum foil
- Blend the vinegar, garlic, cumino, salt and pepper into a smooth liquid.
- After you wash the pork shoulder, pinch it with a small knife to make lots of little holes.
- Cover the leg with the blended liquid and let marinate over night (or for at least 4 hours).
- Place leg in roasting pan, cover with aluminum foil and roast in the oven at 350°F for one hour.
- Remove foil and roast until done.
- Let cool for a few minutes and then slice thin before serving.
What you should know
Serve with rice, mashed potatoes, apple sauce or sweet potatoes.