Arroz con Pollo (Chicken w/Rice)
My aunt, Elva del Alamo, used make this recipe for family gatherings. I remember that she used to love making this for us and we loved eating it. It was most delicious. Now I make it for my family.
- 6 pieces of chicken, leg and thigh
- ¼ cup canola oil, or enough to coat bottom of pot
- 1 green medium sized pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 yellow chile (aji ammarillo)
- 1 cup + 2 ½ cups water, divided
- 2 ½ cups white rice
- ½ cup peas
- ½ cup corn
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Large pot with cover
- Salt and pepper the chicken.
- Add green pepper, onion, garlic, cilantro, chile and one cup of water to blender. Blend well.
- Add oil to pan and fry the chicken over a medium heat just enough to brown the outside.
- Once brown, pour blended liquid onto the chicken in the pot.
- When it boils add rice and an additional 2 ½ cups of water, peas and corn. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. Once it boils, cover and turn heat low to simmer for 45 minutes.
- Serve with Papa a la Huancaina
What you should know
If you don’t like spice remove the seeds from the chili pepper.