Chinese Crab and Corn Chowder
This is a delicious fast and easy soup to make. Great for starting any meal. Serves about 8.
- 8 oz crabmeat
- 1 tsp fresh ginger root, minced
- 4 Tbsp milk
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 4 egg whites
- 5 Cups vegetable stock
- 2-8 oz cans of creamed corn
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Scallions, chopped for garnish
- 3 medium bowls
- Medium saucepan or wok
- In saucepan or wok, bring vegetable stock to boil.
- Meanwhile in one bowl, add crab and ginger and gently break apart any large lumps.
- In second bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy.
- In third bowl, whisk milk and cornstarch until smooth with no lumps.
- Add cornstarch mixture (third bowl) to egg whites (second bowl) and whisk until smooth. Add this to crabmeat mixture (first bowl) and stir to combine.
- To the boiling stock add creamed corn and return to boil.
- Stir in combined crab mixture and slowly stir to well blended. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Serve with scallions as garnish.
What you should know
With the cost of crab meat sometimes being very high, you can substitute cooked, chopped chicken or turkey breast. Great for using the leftover.
Click here for more satisfying soup recipes.