Submitted by John on 15 April 2012 - 10:42pm.
Harissa is a Moroccan condiment that is easy to prepare and goes great with vegetables and grilled meats.
Yields aprox: 1.5 cups
- 4 large red bell peppers
- ½ tsp cumin (whole seed)
- 1 Tbl coriander (whole seed)
- 1 Tbl caraway seed (whole seed)
- 4 pods cardamon (optional - inner seeds only, not the outer husks)
- 4 large cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbl sugar
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Paper bag big enough for bell peppers
- Food processor or blender
- Skillet for dry roasting
- Over an open flame burn the skin on all sides of the bell papers. You can do this on the stove top. Use tongs.
- Place blackened bell pepper into a large paper bag and fold shut to steam.
- Meanwhile place all spices into a preheated skillet and stir to dry roast. Roast until fragrant.
- Blitz roasted spices in food processor or blender. Mortar and pestle is another fun option.
- Chop garlic into pieces and roast in skillet until soft.
- Remove bell peppers from bag and scrape off blackened skin.
- Remote stem and seeds from bell peppers.
- Add garlic and bell and bell papers to the food processor or blender and blitz until done.
- Let sit at least two hours or preferably overnight before serving.
What you should know
Dry roasting releases the intense flavors locked within the spices.