Submitted by John on 8 November 2008 - 12:05am.
This is a good simple risotto recipe. It goes particulaly well with Ossobuco alla Milanese.
Serves about 4
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 3 pinches saffron threads
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- large Dutch oven
- In a saucepan, bring chicken broth to a simmer. Keep warm over low heat.
- In a large saute pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add oil and rice and cook for 2 minutes, stirring to coat each grain.
- When rice begins to make a crackling sound, add saffron threads.
- Add 1 cup of the warm chicken broth and cook, stirring, until the rice has absorbed the liquid.
- Add the remaining broth, 1 cup at a time. Continue to stir, allowing the rice to absorb each addition of broth before adding more. Test the rice for doneness, it should be al dente but creamy. (stop adding stock when rice is done)
- Remove risotto from heat, add grated cheese, salt and pepper.