Herring with Apple in Sour Cream
Herring mostly and well know in Eastern and Northern parts of Europe. Delicious side dish can be pickled, fermented or eaten raw. In Poland is often being used as a chaser for a Vodka shot :) uuh ?
Tends to be very salty, and has a strong, specific taste.
- O.6 lb of Heering Fillet in Oil
- 1 sour apple
- 1 spoon vinegar (white)
- 1 onion
- 2 spoons mustard
- ⅔ of glass of sourcream
- 1 cucumber in brine or pickle
- cutting board
- Mist the fillets with vinegar.
- Cut them into eatable pieces (not to small).
- Cut apple and onion into cubes along with cucumber in brine.
- Mix all together along with herring inside the bowl.
- Pour Sour Cream to the mix (which has been mixed with mustard beforehand).
- Serve with fresh bread or baked potatoes
What you should know
Get the packed herring , not jarred. Russian or Ethnic stores should have supply of this fish.
It’s an acquired taste.