Red Lentil Soup with Pancetta
I found some beautiful red lentils beans in Greek deli and simply couldn’t resist. The color was vivid red and they were cheap. This soup is delicious, quick and easy. Feel free to improvise.
- 6 oz pancetta, cut into small pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- A few pours of olive oil (about 3 Tbsps worth)
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 ½ cups red lentils
- 5 cups chicken stock
- Sour cream (optional)
- Dutch oven or large soup pot
- Saute pancetta in oil over a medium heat.
- After about five minutes add the onion, carrots and celery.
- Sweat another five to ten minutes or until carrots, onions and celery form a soft Mirepoix.
- Add lentils.
- Stir well and then add chicken stock.
- Simmer for at least ½ hour or until lentils are soft.
- Add more stock as necessary.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
What you should know
Pre-made chicken stock is an option but be careful to purchase a brand with a low sodium content. Too much sodium leaves little flexibility and can result in your soup being too salty. You can always add more salt at the table.