Strawberries with balsamic vinegar
There is something magical about a good strawberry and I still think the best way to enjoy them is with cream. But I was knocked out the first time I ate them with balsamic vinegar.
Don’t be put off… give it a try and be prepared for a surprise.
- A punnet of strawberries (in season ideally)
- 1-2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 Tbsp sugar
- Black pepper (optional)
- Clean the strawberries if you have to. (It’s important not to hull them until after you wash them to avoid the fruit absorbing too much water.)
- Drizzle with vinegar and sprinkle over the sugar.
- Leave to stand for about an hour or so.
- Crack some black pepper over the fruit before eating.
What you should know
This dish should be an indulgence. To get the most from it, you should use the best strawberries you can find and a really good vinegar. Something well aged and, inevitably, expensive.