Italian Wedding Soup with meatballs
Submitted by ChristieHill35 on 24 January 2011 - 6:35pm.
This soup recipe is a favorite in our family. You don’t need to wait for a wedding to make it.
- 1 small onion, grated
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 slice fresh white bread, crust trimmed, bread torn into small pieces
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 8 ounces ground pork
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound curly endive, coarsely chopped (1 pound of escarole would be a good substitution)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan, plus extra for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- large Bowl
- baking sheet
- large pot
To make the meatballs:
- Stir the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl to blend.
- Stir in the cheese, beef and pork.
- Using 1 ½ teaspoons for each, shape the meat mixture into 1-inch-diameter meatballs.
- Place on a baking sheet.
To make the soup:
- Bring the broth to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the meatballs and curly endive and simmer until the meatballs are cooked through and the curly endive is tender, about 8 minutes.
- Whisk the eggs and cheese in a medium bowl to blend.
- Stir the soup in a circular motion.
- Gradually drizzle the egg mixture into the moving broth, stirring gently with a fork to form thin stands of egg, about 1 minute.
- Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.
- Finish soup with parmesan cheese if desired.
What you should know
Click here for more satisfying soup recipes.