Classic Russian Borscht
Submitted by ChristieHill35 on 28 January 2011 - 5:46pm.
My grandfather’s recipe for classic Russian borscht. It was the one thing he could cook well.
- 2 quarts beef stock
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 cup potatoes, diced
- ½ cup carrots, diced
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 ½ cups canned tomatoes
- ½ cup juice (from can of beets)
- 1 cup cooked or canned beets, diced
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- chopped dill or parsley (for garnishing)
- sour cream
- salt and pepper as needed
- a large heavy pan
- an immersion blender, stand blender, or food processor
- In a large heavy pan, melt butter and lightly sauté cabbage, potatoes, carrots, celery and onion (approximately 5 minutes.)
- Add beef stock.
- Using an immersion blender, stand blender, or food processor, blend canned tomatoes until pureed.
- Add pureed tomatoes and beet juice to stock.
- Cover and simmer over low heat until vegetables are firmly tender but not soft.
- Add the chopped beets and vinegar.
- Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat before the beets begin to lose their color.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of dill or parsley over each bowl.
What you should know
Click here for more satisfying soup recipes.