Submitted by ellenbh on 31 October 2006 - 7:23pm.
This turkey chili is a family favorite that is a nice recipe for a cold night. It’s easy to make provided you have the time to let it simmer.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 onion diced
- 3 carrots diced
- 3 stalks of celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can white kidney beans, drained
- 1 ½ can whole peeled tomatoes pureed
- ¼ cup mild chili powder
- Pinch ground cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Pinch of tumeric powder
- Salt & Pepper to tast
- Large saucepan
- Heat a large saucepan over high heat and add the oil, spreading it so that it evenly coats the bottom of the pot.
- When the oil is hot, add the onion, celery, and carrots. Cook until onion is translucent.
- Add turkey and cook, stirring often, until the turkey has lost most of its pinkness - about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add the chili powder, cayenne, cumin, oregeno, nutmeg, tumeric, and cook, stirring continuously, for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and salt and stir well to combine.
- Bring the chili to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.