This sweet and healthy treat is a birthday favorite for kids and parents alike in our household. But we hardly wait for birthdays to roll around to break out the cake pan. The kids love to help. Sometimes for fun we make muffins or cupcakes instead. The really love the individual servings. I do too.
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1 ½ cups plus 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ½ salt
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 ½ lbs carrots, peeled, trimmed, and grated (about 4 cups)
- Two 8” round cake pans
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease two 8” round cake pans with butter, dust each with 1 tbsp of flour, tapping out excess and set aside.
- Combine the remaining 1 ½ cups flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice and salt in a large bowl. Add oil and eggs and stir until smooth.
- Add carrots and mix well.
- Divide batter between prepared pans. Bake approximately 25 minutes.
- Set aside to cool on a rack, then remove cakes from pans.