Home

Christmas Dinner

tags:

This year I am cooking Christmas dinner. Does anybody have any suggestions for a delicious meal? I am a pretty good cook, but rarely have time to cook a full meal. In the past we have always gone to my sister-in-laws house for Christmas. Her turkey is always as dry as her sense of humor. I want to set a new tradition in our home so I want to make sure everyone loves it.

ps - I made the German gingerbread men recipe from this site with my son and they are delicious.

Re: Christmas Dinner

Amy-

Are you feeling naughty or nice? If you want want to be kind consider a ham, roast joint of beef, a leg of lamb anything but a turkey. But if you want to zing your sister-in-law but good — go for turkey.

Here’s what you do.

1. Brine that baby! — try this brine recipe. Make sure you leave a good twelve hours prior to cooking. I like to set the turkey in brine the night before just before I go to bed.

2. When you are ready to roast, start by making a dry rub. I like salt, pepper, paprika and a hint of cayenne. Choose your favorites.

3. Remove the turkey from the brine and pat dry.

4. Put a few carrots or parsnips on the bottom of the roasting pan. (these will serve as a roasting rack) Place the turkey on top. Rub a few tablespoons of olive oil over the bird and using a liberal hand sprinkle with dry rub.

5. Cook at 325°F leaving approximately 25 minutes per pound. Use this chart for cooking times. Cook until a internal thermometer reads

6. Be sure to allow at least twenty minutes for the turkey to cool before serving.

Good luck with your new tradition and let your sister in law down easy.

I reckon a great soup is a brilliant way to start Christmas lunch. My mother (who is quite an accomplished cook) began a big festive dinner with Irish Parsnip Soup and wowed her guests. She has cooked it several times since, by the way. Anyway, parsnips are a must-have for Christmas (at least in England) and I think this is a fabulous way to integrate them into a meal.

Of course, starting the festivities with a cocktail is also a sure-fire route to success. Try a Bloody Mary, a Christmas Bowl of Bishop if you want something warm or a plain old margarita to get things off to a bang.

My Mum’s roast potatoes go with any roast or turkey and is winner every time.

And, for later in the evening, chewy chocolate chip cookies with a cup of hot chocolate (or another cocktail!)… they are easy to make and simply yummy.

Hope that helps.

You might want to consider pumpkin pie for dessert in addition to those cookies. I still have a few pumpkins leftover from Halloween and I’m roasting them right now. I will let you know if it turns out.

Pumpkin Pie