Home

Thinking "green" or just spending it.

I’ve been thinking a lot about what it means to buy food that is labeled organic. I am always skeptical of labels and doubly so when they become widely adopted. Can farm raised fish legitimately share the same organic label as an apple grown without pesticides? Does organic in the US mean the same thing as organic in the UK or NZ? What about organic mac and cheese from a box — is that really supposed to be good for your kids?

I know that that in the US the regulations pertaining to the labeling of organic foods has been modified and watered down? Should I be concerned?

Are there fruits and vegetables for which I should seek out the organic label? Can I pay more for some produce with the confidence that I am getting real value for my extra buck? Perhaps broccoli and potatoes are best to buy organic so as to avoid toxic chemicals, but other vegetables it doesn’t matter?

• Confused in Los Angeles
Re: Thinking "green" or just spending it.

I have talked to many local farmers here in the U.S. The standards that the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) through their NOP (National Organic Program) are thorough for USDA certification. To use USDA seal the following must apply: “100% Organic—Foods bearing this label are made with 100% organic ingredients* and may display the USDA Organic seal. Organic—These products contain at least 95–99% organic ingredients (by weight). The remaining ingredients are not available organically but have been approved by the NOP. These products may display the USDA Organic seal.” With that said, even in the 100%, water and salt are not included in certification. And as we have seen here in the past year, that has contributed to some health problems. But for the most part, you can feel confident in the backing of the USDA seal. Then there is the small farmer that has what one would call “organic” but has not volunteered for the NOP program. My suggestion is talk to the farmer at your local food market. They are usually more than happy to explain their growing processes. Their honesty and passion for what they produce is the sales pitch that brings me back.

Re: Thinking "green" or just spending it.

Here is my unprofessional, somewhat rusty and off the cuff responses.

Can farm raised fish legitimately share the same organic label as an apple grown without pesticides?

Farm raised is actually more controversial than free-range or “wild caught” fish. I can go into detail about this with mention of color additives due to lack of vitamins in the fish, gmo feed for these fish and feces feedings due to the small space pens, etc.. as well. Check out gefish.org or http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/geneticall3.cfm

Does organic in the US mean the same thing as organic in the UK or NZ?

Not necessarily and right now, I believe (or last I was up on this stuff) “certified California organic” is still considered the ultimate in assuring your organic food has passed the strictest codes derived under the organics food bill laws.

What about organic mac and cheese from a box — is that really supposed to be good for your kids?

Use your brain. Of course non-hormone, non gmo fed cows and wheat are considered by whole food advocates as superior to mainstream mac and cheese boxes that also include unnecessary additives, preservatives and often, unrefined sugars but whether or not you consider mac and cheese a healthy meal option well…that’s a whole other discussion!

Are there fruits and vegetables for which I should seek out the organic label?

In general, the rule of thumb I go by is this: anything that grows in the ground or can’t be peeled or boiled and any fruit that is highly fatty and absorbs pesticides easily through thin skin is to be avoided. Also, fruits and veges high on the GMO list like rice, corn, tomatoes, papayas and strawberries are also not on my non-organic friendly list. Of course, I always suggest organic first and only unless unavoidable and I also recommend eating local and seasonal to avoid the GMO methods of food incubation, preservation and transportation. Some people really like the bio-sustainable technique, and one guy I spoke to prefers it even to organic—if you can find something that is both, well then, the more power to you—buy it and enjoy!

Can I pay more for some produce with the confidence that I am getting real value for my extra buck?

You can pay more for a waxy gmo’d apple at Gelsons than you might a freshly picked organic apple from your local farmer at the farmer’s market—this question is silly to me. Bottom line, only you know whether your money is being well-spent because you get to decide what is important to you, what holds value and where you stand on the issues of organic versus non-organic. Personally, if you are not working for a company like Monsantos then I really don’t see how you lose by spending your money on whole-some foods that are clean and free of chemicals never intended to be imbibed by cattle, pigs and chickens much less humans.

That’s it for me. Be well and eat with joy!

signed- the happy health nut