Charie’s Spinach & Bacon Quiche
The credit for this amazing quiche recipe goes to my Godmother Charie MacDonald. Mix in any fillings you like. My fave is the spinach and gruyere. Enjoy!!
- 8 oz. pate brise (dough - see below)*
- 10 oz. frozen spinach, drained and squeezed dry
- 1 lb. bacon, diced
- 8 oz. fresh sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup of sliced green onions
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ½ cups of shredded Gruyere cheese
- ½ tsp. each of salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- rolling pin
- pie plate (9”-10”)
- frying pan
- paper towel
- Roll out dough 2” larger than 9”-10” pie plate. Scallop edges and refrigerate while preparing filling.
- Fry bacon until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towel.
- Leave 1 tablespoon of bacon fat in the pan. Add mushrooms and green onions and sauté until wilted. Drain.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl. Add cream, milk and seasonings.
- Remove pie shell from the refrigerator. Make single layers in the pie plate of spinach, bacon, mushrooms, and onions. Sprinkle the cheese all over.
- Pour the egg mixture over and dot with butter
- Bake in preheated 375°F degree oven for 45 mins. Remove from over and let sit for 10 mins before serving.
What you should know
My standard Pate Brisee is 3 parts flour to 2 parts butter with a pinch of salt and dash of water.*